The new year brings new resolutions. May I suggest that one of your New Year’s resolutions be the creation of one new data management habit within your organization? Here are some suggestions:
- Develop and use data integrity reports.
- Establish an internal users group that meets at least monthly.
- Conduct internal “data awareness” training sessions, so that all staff can understand what is in your database.
- Stop collecting data you’re not using.
- Manage for the exception, not to the exception.
And remember, developing habits takes time. (The old saw that it takes 21 days to establish a new habit isn’t actually based in science. Some habits can take several months to really “take.”)
And also remember, it’s better to implement one idea really well than it is to implement several ideas poorly.
So choose ONE new habit that you can implement in your organization and make 2019 the year that you start loving your database again!