For Christmas I received a new cookbook, The Food Lab (which I highly recommend). Several pages of the book are dedicated to outlining the tools that a kitchen should be stocked with to make it most effective and efficient. The author points out that having the right tools in place will not only make cooking more enjoyable, but it will also improve your end-product because you have the tools to get the job done right.
The same is true for data management. The stronger and more appropriate your tools, the easier it is to manage your data, and the better your results will be. This will be true for both staff and customer.
So look around your organization and ask yourself:
- Do we have the best tools possible for managing our data?
- Is our technology up-to-date and appropriate for our needs?
- How long has it been since we upgraded our AMS or CMS?
- Are we still managing a bunch of our data in spreadsheets or siloed databases?
- Are our multiple systems integrated to avoid managing redundant data?
Having the right tools can make the difference between daily struggles with data and really leveraging your data for its highest value to your organization and your members and customers.