Subscribe to my newsletter EDM News
SIIA Release Survey on Social Media
19 February 2008, by , in Research, 1 comment

The Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) has released a survey of how businesses are using social media. The contents of the survey can be found here.

The survey looks to be based on 134 responses of business to business (B2B) companies. Some interesting highlights:

  1. The percentage of companies already offering social networking technologies is 42%. The percentage planning to in the near future is an additional 36%. So some time in "the near future" nearly 80% of these companies will be offering some form of social networking.
  2. The primary benefit to these companies, from their perspective, is to reach new audiences and increase user engagement. Based on their own experiences, about 40% of the respondents believe they are reaching new audiences, while another 40% expect to. Thirty-three percent are increasing engagement while another 52% expect to.
  3. Just over a third of those surveyed (34%) have user generated content, but another 24% expect to have it soon.
  4. Over half (54%) have blogs. Interestingly, only 35% think blogging has had a positive effect. The other 65% felt it had a "mixed" effect. But none felt it was a pure negative.

The results of the survey are also worth reading for the open-ended comments that are provided.

I'd be interested to know how this compares to the association market. My gut says the numbers across the board would be much lower, but I'm unaware of any recent association industry surveys about social media. Perhaps my buddy Ben Martin can help us out here.

My two take-aways from the survey:

  1. Clearly, social media is important to the vast majority of these companies. It's not going away.
  2. Blogging is a net positive. Even if most of the respondents felt it had a mixed effect, I've got to believe there are more positives than negatives, especially since not a single company responded that blogging was purely negative.
About author:

1 Comment on "SIIA Release Survey on Social Media"

Ben Martin, CAE - 20 February 2008 Reply

I haven't seen any research like that, but I'd sure like to!

Leave a Reply

Archives

Sign-up for EDM News

 

 

Testimonials

“Wes was able to come in and offer tangible, relevant advice that made us more productive immediately. I value his understanding of databases but more so, his understanding of how nonprofits work. There was no lost time educating him about how membership organizations are “different.” Wes recommended changes in processes as well as tips and tricks that were easy to implement made an immediate positive impact.”

Mary Pat Paris, Executive Director
International Registration Plan

“We came to Wes because we were very frustrated with our existing AMS and we wanted to improve our capabilities as soon as practicable. Wes very quickly helped us through a process of identifying our needs, identifying potential vendors, and selecting a new system that we’ll be able to move into very quickly. I especially appreciated Wes’s candor about our processes as well as the systems we were looking at. He was a great resource to have in a period of high anxiety for our organization. I would highly recommend Wes for any similar project.”

Jack Chiasson, CMP Executive Director
National Association of Life Brokerage Agencies

“Wes was able to come in and offer tangible, relevant advice that made us more productive immediately. I value his understanding of databases but more so, his understanding of how nonprofits work. There was no lost time educating him about how membership organizations are “different.” Wes recommended changes in processes as well as tips and tricks that were easy to implement made an immediate positive impact.”

Mary Pat Paris, Executive Director
International Registration Plan

Mary Pat Paris
International Registration Plan

“This is the second database implementation we’ve done since I have been at Western Arts Alliance (WAA). The first I did on my own. This time we engaged Wes Trochlil as our database planning consultant. Let me tell you, this process is a whole lot easier having Wes on your team! For a small association like WAA, it’s tempting for board and EDs to question the justification and expense of a database planning consultant. But it’s the small associations that need Effective Database Management the most. Wes strengthened our planning process, clarified our needs requirements, helped us steer around solutions that couldn’t meet our objectives, and saved us money in the long haul.”

Tim Wilson, Executive Director
Western Arts Alliance

Tim Wilson
Western Arts Alliance
%d bloggers like this: